Thread: Looking for livery start up info(chicago IL)

Hello, im new here and just got a lincoln town car presidential edition. This may have been discussed many times, but in this instance im a complete beginner. Im looking at doing livery service, primarily to the airpot and back. I live in Chicago, IL

I just have the car and a regular license. I believe I need to get CDL license, is this correct?

Lastly I saw a stretch limo with no livery plates, just regular ones...so I dont need to get livery plates to perform a limo service?

Also what is need for plates? Do I need to have it registered differently? How can I obtain livery plates?

Sorry for the numerous questions, I would like to get as much information as possible, and have none.

Thanks

And what are the different service stages. I.E limo, livery etc etc

Besides insurance, what other costs are involved?

Also im new here for please forgive if this is in the wrong section, repetitive etc etc

I don't know about IL. they may have some regs that are their own.

I do know you don't need a CDL as long as you don't transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver (of course unless you bunch a couple of guys with a hazardous material, or you decide to do livery in a Freightliner)

im sure there are authority issues and junk, you need to contact your states motor carriers division.

gotta have for hire insurance, not little lizard dude insurance (i know who it is). I'm not suggesting, but theres a new guy on here in which my insurance is through, name is Phil with Kiehly Hines...I'm sure he would answer your insurance questions.

Trust me I dont know crap but thats what my research came up with up to this point with me.

You'll also need to set up a business, so you'll need proper business licensing etc. Expect to spend 5-9K before your ready to go.
    Jared Scott
    ICON Executive Transportation
    Oxford | Jackson | Nashville | Destin | Montego Bay, JM

Nashville Car Service

Destin Car Service

Ok I do not need a CDL, but do i need a chauffur license?

Does anyone know what a hard card is?

Go to Harold Washington College and sign up for the two day public chauffeur's course. Once you pass the test you will get your hard card. ( City Chauffeurs License ) Then go to Consumer Service and apply for a City License, you can get the forms on the cities web site, once approved, you will go to the Secretary of State on Elston Avenue to pick up your plate. ( Information provided by Richard Ramis of Chicago )
    Dean Schuler